Skip to main content

Departures, returns and removals

I use to be an organized, responsible and consistent person, but sometimes I like to make spontaneous decisions and risk as well. I believe that everyone needs a little craziness in his or her life.

That is why on 2nd October I woke up at 6 am and went with my luggage towards Benalmadena train station. Since then, everything has gone quite quickly and a bit nervous: train, plane, flight from Malaga to Berlin, bus from Berlin to Szczecin (my hometown), car, luggage change, train from Szczecin to Poznan...

Finally, around midnight I got to the unknown city, pulled my bike out of the train, put my trekking backpack and with the priceless help of Google Maps app I reached my new apartment in Poznan, which I had never seen before, to start classes the very next day at 8 am. Now I can proudly call myself a student at Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan and a new resident of the city.




But let's get back to the point of departure. What was I doing in Benalmadena?

As a Master's student in Spanish, I am an absolute fan of Spanish language and I am always looking for the opportunity to return to Spain, which I consider my second home. This summer I have done something completely new. Me, a backpacker loving to sleep in a sleeping bag, tire and sweat, walk long kilometers on foot, I went to Spain to work in one of the seaside hotels in the animation team. Here you can find some of my impressions:

Animation is apparently not serious work but in reality it is similar to any other.There are moments of sweat, laughter and tears. There are people who make us move up and down.

Costa del Sol, in turn, reflects all the natural beauty of Spain and all its tourist kitsch. It is the world of skyscrapers, residences, apartments, travel agencies, guides, stars, TripAdvisor recommendations  and complaint sheets.

The division between the natives and the 'guiris' (not a very kind synonym of 'tourists') is current.

I discovered a 'hipster face' (previously unknown) of the country and a hotel environment spreading rumors, scandals and news that separate the world of sun loungers, swimming pools and pool bar from that of the staff's intensified life behind the department door, behind one's back and on Instagram.

On the other hand, there were always some people by my side precisely when I needed them. There are people that I miss now, since they made my days more beautiful during my stay in Spain. There are people who gave me moving memories and much empathy.

Most clients are authentic and grateful for every little thing, they allowed me to hear and enter their stories. But there are others who come and leave the hotel dissatisfied with life.

There are hundreds and thousands of faces, conversations, personal confessions, honest and courtesy smiles; games, jokes, performances; casual meetings after hours, confidential advice and wishes, spontaneous thanks. And this is the most beautiful part of the job- giving the best part of myrself to people I do not know and will never see again. Do not judge, avoid or ignore, but be available and kind to everyone.

My traineeship in Benalmadena were two months quite intense, rich in meetings and confrontations and finally the time spent there made me keep the hotel in my heart.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking with the (Baltic Sea) wind

I think that the collective contemporary perception of our cultural societies risks workaholism. Productivity is one of the most respected features of our daily lives. Sometimes the area of work 'swells up' in our lives and reaches the size of an almost authoritarian instance that rules the other spheres. Perhaps in the beating heart of never-ending tasks it is worth closing your eyes and seeing a different landscape? This is exactly what I did today. Recently, I feel very overloaded with work. I don't even have time to talk to the family I live with. As a student and teacher during the COVID-19 pandemic, I spend time in front of the computer from 7am to 11pm and I feel increasingly discouraged from making any further effort. Today I decided to oxygenate, spending a day with my friend on long walks on the sea shore. The weather was great. The sun was heating up nicely and motivate us to continue hiking in the wild nooks away from tourists. Su...

Faces Places

Agnès Varda , died just a year ago, was a French film director, photographer and artist born in Belgium. Her work is associated with significant development of the French New Wave film movement of the 1950s and 1960s. Her films reflected documentary realism and constituted creative comments on social phenomena, especially concerning women issues, with a distinctive experimental style. JR is the pseudonym of a French photographer and street artist. He sticks large black-and-white photographic images in public places, saying that the street is 'the largest art gallery in the world'. Mainly he deals with the representations of commitment, freedom, identity and limits. They both created a wonderful documentary in 2017 called  Faces Places . In the movie, they both travel around French villages, meet and talk to simple people, listen to their stories, and then take photos of them, which they then print in huge formats and place on buildings.  The film has been h...

'Fauda' review: Israeli-Palestinian conflict on the screens

Netflix has so far broadcast season 3 of the most famous Israeli production series. Season 4 is being prepared, although work on editing will definitely be delayed due to pandemics. The series presents the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. In the three seasons, various characters related to Hamas or ISIS on the Palestinian side and the branch of the Israel Defense Forces headed by Doron Kabillio. The series presents various terrorist and anti-terrorist actions which take place in contemporary Israel, West Bank and the Gaza Strip. The main actor and director of the series, Lior Raz,  enlisted at age 18 in the  Israel Defense Forces  and became a  commando  in the elite undercover counter-terrorism unit.  A Palestinian terrorist killed his girlfriend by stabbing her 15 times.  The terrorist was later released from prison in the prisoner exchange .  In turn, the second director, Avi Issacharoff, was Middle Eastern Affairs Correspondent for Isr...