Skip to main content

Is Polish hospitality a stereotype?

Please do not accuse me of a lack of objectivity. I write rather subjective texts, therefore, you can imagine my title question is already an answer...

This weekend I went to my hometown to celebrate my aunt's 50th birthday with my relatives. As I do it always observing the Polish traditions of experiencing certain meetings, holidays, anniversaries or birthdays, also this time I come to the conclusion that we are indeed very generous and hospitable society. Usually after family parties, the topic of diet becomes a kind of mantra and everyone enjoys complaining about how much they ate but let's leave this matter of moods, that is not what I am going to consider. But just take a look, in most cases, we are very involved in preparing what requires work from us, but makes our loved ones happy.  We feel proud when we show our family a nicely set table full of dishes. We like to surprise with creativity or small cute detail. We are happy when nothing is missing and each guest finds something on the table that impresses him. We like cleanliness and aesthetics.

On the other hand, as a student of Spanish philology, I always smile when I think about Spanish family events. There are many differences. Everything takes place outside. Even pull tables outside and eat on the sidewalk in the street is one of the most normal things in the world. 






Children celebrate birthdays in public parks or playgrounds. Birthdays are not very special, although it depends on individual preferences. However, you will probably not hear any more words of wishes except "happy birthday". Spanish do not like to talk a lot in this case. At Christmas, they do not make wishes either, and the tables and dishes look the same as during any other family gatherings. Bachelor and bachelorette party are almost always funny tours around the village with an orchestra and strange clothes and requisites.



Spanish prefer to participate in open parties and street events including their housing estate or village. In Poland, we celebrate in a more closed group and space. They are more participants of large events than organizers of small meetings. I think that in Poland we have more potential when it comes to family celebrations’ traditions.


The only curiosity that is not known in our country and surprised me a lot was eating 12 grapes (mandarin pieces could be an alternative) at midnight on New Year's Eve. I remember that my friends bought grapes with seeds and I almost got to choke swallowing them as fast as the TV presenter dictated, but eventually I survived to the next year J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking with the (Baltic Sea) wind

I think that the collective contemporary perception of our cultural societies risks workaholism. Productivity is one of the most respected features of our daily lives. Sometimes the area of work 'swells up' in our lives and reaches the size of an almost authoritarian instance that rules the other spheres. Perhaps in the beating heart of never-ending tasks it is worth closing your eyes and seeing a different landscape? This is exactly what I did today. Recently, I feel very overloaded with work. I don't even have time to talk to the family I live with. As a student and teacher during the COVID-19 pandemic, I spend time in front of the computer from 7am to 11pm and I feel increasingly discouraged from making any further effort. Today I decided to oxygenate, spending a day with my friend on long walks on the sea shore. The weather was great. The sun was heating up nicely and motivate us to continue hiking in the wild nooks away from tourists. Su...

Faces Places

Agnès Varda , died just a year ago, was a French film director, photographer and artist born in Belgium. Her work is associated with significant development of the French New Wave film movement of the 1950s and 1960s. Her films reflected documentary realism and constituted creative comments on social phenomena, especially concerning women issues, with a distinctive experimental style. JR is the pseudonym of a French photographer and street artist. He sticks large black-and-white photographic images in public places, saying that the street is 'the largest art gallery in the world'. Mainly he deals with the representations of commitment, freedom, identity and limits. They both created a wonderful documentary in 2017 called  Faces Places . In the movie, they both travel around French villages, meet and talk to simple people, listen to their stories, and then take photos of them, which they then print in huge formats and place on buildings.  The film has been h...

'Fauda' review: Israeli-Palestinian conflict on the screens

Netflix has so far broadcast season 3 of the most famous Israeli production series. Season 4 is being prepared, although work on editing will definitely be delayed due to pandemics. The series presents the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. In the three seasons, various characters related to Hamas or ISIS on the Palestinian side and the branch of the Israel Defense Forces headed by Doron Kabillio. The series presents various terrorist and anti-terrorist actions which take place in contemporary Israel, West Bank and the Gaza Strip. The main actor and director of the series, Lior Raz,  enlisted at age 18 in the  Israel Defense Forces  and became a  commando  in the elite undercover counter-terrorism unit.  A Palestinian terrorist killed his girlfriend by stabbing her 15 times.  The terrorist was later released from prison in the prisoner exchange .  In turn, the second director, Avi Issacharoff, was Middle Eastern Affairs Correspondent for Isr...