Every once
in a while, my everyday routine is interrupted by local three-hour trips. The
mentioned time is the distance traveled by train between Poznań and Szczecin-
my ‘two homes’.
I usually
try to use the time as productively and efficiently as possible; I read
literary texts, take notes, do homework and writing assignments, draw up a list
of tasks for the next week etc. However, sometimes there are quite different
days when I simply enjoy my leisure in a way that can surprise and even
scandalize…
Nowadays,
we are so busy, effective, efficient that we blame ourselves when we’re resting.
Even when we’re not working, we want to be active. Consequently, we’re learning
foreign languages, working out at the gym or, alternatively, we’re bombarding the
senses and the brain with an excess of stimuli while watching movies, reading
newspapers, following social networks, listening to the music or radio. These
are all fantastic things, but probably not always so crucial.
Sitting for
three hours idle seems absurd and ridiculous, we cannot accept such a waste of time. However, I think that sometimes we should be a little useless. We
deserve to close the eyes or stare at nature outside the train window, even if
the landscape is monotonous and blurry in the rain and fog. I like to be
organized, but I also like to disconnect from the outside world. The world’s
not going to end because we take a day off or aren’t always alert.
Then, some
trips make me realize that sometimes we can be ‘useless’ in a very useful and positive way- just taking care of
ourselves and keeping a health distance from anything. And we need to
forgive ourselves for not being up to date and testing our multitasking skills in every single moment.


Comments
Post a Comment