Skip to main content

Does magic still exist?

Once Halloween is over, shopping centers don't sit on their hands but burden us with a new flow of things that we just 'have to buy': baubles, chains, sweets, Christmas decorations, toys, gifts, etc. The vicious circle of commercialism doesn't stop. On the main city streets we can already see new lighting with motifs of reindeer, snowman or snow stars. Huge Christmas trees and charming wooden Christmas markets stand in the main squares. We hear Christmas songs and even carol melodies more and more in the radio. Store sites inform us about further sale. Every day we feel more and more 'magic' of holidays driven mainly by traders. 

Indeed, Christmas decorations remind us of days off from work, delicious dishes, spending time with family, joy of received or handed gifts. That is why we uncritically accept this 'magic'. The consequences are that in November people spend their free time after work or classes in stores. We focus more on material preparation and nice surroundings than on the essence of what we experience.

Yestarday (on Black Friday) I was late for classes. Cars and buses were blocked in the traffic jams on the street. Huge masses of people got on and off the trams near major shopping centers. The vehicle doors barely closed. Everyone had some bags with logos of famous brands. I remember reading the updates a year ago. There was an information that several people died in the United States as a result of being trampled by excessive rush and thoughtlessness of customers on Black Friday. Why are we so inattentive and run after something that is totally superficial?

I don't like the 'magic of Christmas' like this. I like the ordinariness of Christmas. I like to feel warm at physical work when I clean house or fresh winter air outside while while sweeping the terrace. I like to work together in the kitchen, especially with my grandmother. I like to make wishes (I'm the most talkative person in the family, there is often a queue in front of me, and my relatives cry when they hear my wishes). I even like the family complaining that we have done too much food again, and I say that it was worth it for every moment we spent together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking with the (Baltic Sea) wind

I think that the collective contemporary perception of our cultural societies risks workaholism. Productivity is one of the most respected features of our daily lives. Sometimes the area of work 'swells up' in our lives and reaches the size of an almost authoritarian instance that rules the other spheres. Perhaps in the beating heart of never-ending tasks it is worth closing your eyes and seeing a different landscape? This is exactly what I did today. Recently, I feel very overloaded with work. I don't even have time to talk to the family I live with. As a student and teacher during the COVID-19 pandemic, I spend time in front of the computer from 7am to 11pm and I feel increasingly discouraged from making any further effort. Today I decided to oxygenate, spending a day with my friend on long walks on the sea shore. The weather was great. The sun was heating up nicely and motivate us to continue hiking in the wild nooks away from tourists. Su...

Faces Places

Agnès Varda , died just a year ago, was a French film director, photographer and artist born in Belgium. Her work is associated with significant development of the French New Wave film movement of the 1950s and 1960s. Her films reflected documentary realism and constituted creative comments on social phenomena, especially concerning women issues, with a distinctive experimental style. JR is the pseudonym of a French photographer and street artist. He sticks large black-and-white photographic images in public places, saying that the street is 'the largest art gallery in the world'. Mainly he deals with the representations of commitment, freedom, identity and limits. They both created a wonderful documentary in 2017 called  Faces Places . In the movie, they both travel around French villages, meet and talk to simple people, listen to their stories, and then take photos of them, which they then print in huge formats and place on buildings.  The film has been h...

'Fauda' review: Israeli-Palestinian conflict on the screens

Netflix has so far broadcast season 3 of the most famous Israeli production series. Season 4 is being prepared, although work on editing will definitely be delayed due to pandemics. The series presents the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. In the three seasons, various characters related to Hamas or ISIS on the Palestinian side and the branch of the Israel Defense Forces headed by Doron Kabillio. The series presents various terrorist and anti-terrorist actions which take place in contemporary Israel, West Bank and the Gaza Strip. The main actor and director of the series, Lior Raz,  enlisted at age 18 in the  Israel Defense Forces  and became a  commando  in the elite undercover counter-terrorism unit.  A Palestinian terrorist killed his girlfriend by stabbing her 15 times.  The terrorist was later released from prison in the prisoner exchange .  In turn, the second director, Avi Issacharoff, was Middle Eastern Affairs Correspondent for Isr...