Skip to main content

Women's Day

On this occasion, I decided to search the Internet and find some facts about how people (and mostly women) spend today's day all over the world.
- In Russia, the feast of ladies is a day off from work.
- Vietnam celebrates this festival twice a year - March 8 and October 20.
United Kingdom focuses on education. On this day one can take part in various meetings and lectures, for example about equality.
- In Italy, celebrations on March 8 start a week earlier - posters and leaflets symbolizing the holiday hang on the walls and pillars. On Women's Day, every lady is given a bouquet of flowers. Interestingly, women also give gifts to their friends, mothers, sisters or friends.
- In Portugal and Romania, women generally celebrate Women's Day without men. On the night of March 8, women meet at a party.
- Women's Day is prohibited in Iran (until there the situation is quite logical and understandable, after all Iran is a Muslim state). In 2007, Iranian police beat 100 people who planned the gathering on this occasion and arrested many women (but here it already sounds very disquieting). Source: https://www.refworld.org/docid/469f5bc91e.html

- If I remember well, in Spain, Women's Day is primarily a day of protests, public demonstrations, in which women oppose violence, social inequalities and abuses. Posters are hung everywhere.
- In Poland, I suppose this day looks different in every place depending on family traditions and individual preferences.
When I lived with my family, I remember that on Women's Day my mother and I always got flowers and sweets. This day was a real celebration. Now, when I live alone, I celebrate it in my own way, so if you know me a bit, you can guess there's a theater ticket for tonight on the desk next to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking with the (Baltic Sea) wind

I think that the collective contemporary perception of our cultural societies risks workaholism. Productivity is one of the most respected features of our daily lives. Sometimes the area of work 'swells up' in our lives and reaches the size of an almost authoritarian instance that rules the other spheres. Perhaps in the beating heart of never-ending tasks it is worth closing your eyes and seeing a different landscape? This is exactly what I did today. Recently, I feel very overloaded with work. I don't even have time to talk to the family I live with. As a student and teacher during the COVID-19 pandemic, I spend time in front of the computer from 7am to 11pm and I feel increasingly discouraged from making any further effort. Today I decided to oxygenate, spending a day with my friend on long walks on the sea shore. The weather was great. The sun was heating up nicely and motivate us to continue hiking in the wild nooks away from tourists. Su...

'Fauda' review: Israeli-Palestinian conflict on the screens

Netflix has so far broadcast season 3 of the most famous Israeli production series. Season 4 is being prepared, although work on editing will definitely be delayed due to pandemics. The series presents the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. In the three seasons, various characters related to Hamas or ISIS on the Palestinian side and the branch of the Israel Defense Forces headed by Doron Kabillio. The series presents various terrorist and anti-terrorist actions which take place in contemporary Israel, West Bank and the Gaza Strip. The main actor and director of the series, Lior Raz,  enlisted at age 18 in the  Israel Defense Forces  and became a  commando  in the elite undercover counter-terrorism unit.  A Palestinian terrorist killed his girlfriend by stabbing her 15 times.  The terrorist was later released from prison in the prisoner exchange .  In turn, the second director, Avi Issacharoff, was Middle Eastern Affairs Correspondent for Isr...

Faces Places

Agnès Varda , died just a year ago, was a French film director, photographer and artist born in Belgium. Her work is associated with significant development of the French New Wave film movement of the 1950s and 1960s. Her films reflected documentary realism and constituted creative comments on social phenomena, especially concerning women issues, with a distinctive experimental style. JR is the pseudonym of a French photographer and street artist. He sticks large black-and-white photographic images in public places, saying that the street is 'the largest art gallery in the world'. Mainly he deals with the representations of commitment, freedom, identity and limits. They both created a wonderful documentary in 2017 called  Faces Places . In the movie, they both travel around French villages, meet and talk to simple people, listen to their stories, and then take photos of them, which they then print in huge formats and place on buildings.  The film has been h...