Skip to main content

'Sea Wall': how to express the inexpressible?

Although watching the movie 'Sea Wall' was my homework, I think it's so valuable that I should also describe my impressions on the blog.
What upset me (or got bored) was the static camera. I missed the actor's close-ups or using the camera's potential in a different, creative way. I associate such a stable image with the theater, but when I'm in front of the screen and not the stage, I have different expectations than a still perspective. 


On the other hand, Scott’s acting is very dynamic. His facial expressions and emotional monologue are eye-catching and present excellent acting. His gestures are credible, they look natural and authentic, not exaggerated and artificial, as could happen in the case of a half-hour monologue scene. Scott showed a beautiful representation of fragile man experiencing tragedy. His behavior is like crying and screaming, which he communicates through movements and words.

At the beginning my attention was caught by Alex's style of speaking. It was a bit poetic and metaphorical language. Thoughts were disordered, full of digression. I had no idea what story he would tell me, especially when he was talking about the sea wall- it was an abstraction for me. Why is he talking about this? But that chaotic style, that kept me confused, seemed to me a tale of suffering. I didn't know what was going on. When Alex began to talk about the family, subconsciously I felt that something tragic would happen in a moment, although my first thought was it would be about his wife. The moment of tragedy caused me a rebellion. Why wasn't Arthur attentive and Alex was swimming in the sea at that exact moment? It can't end like this! It doesn’t make sense! But that's how it ended. Or began. That is how great impotence, pain and mourning began. I think it was especially painful for Arthur and Alex who were so close to Lucy and couldn’t save her from death. I suppose every person mentioned in the movie blames himself/herself for the death of the girl. Because such things are unacceptable, they break life forever.

I really appreciate such stories. They aren’t distorted images of human life, but real occurrences that we actually face. Alex's character is touching because we easily identify with him. We often feel lost and broken, ask about life and people we love or about the existence of God. However, the drama of a parent who lost a child must be incomparable to any other. It is said to be the biggest loss that a person can experience. I guess Lucy's death was like a hit on the wall for Alex and Helen. They are both like the sea because they still live thinking only about the sea (which took away their child) in mind. They are a sea of suffering that constantly hits the sea wall. Or, maybe, they are the wall that remains in darkness, and the girl's death is a violent sea that strikes them and drifts off into another world.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking with the (Baltic Sea) wind

I think that the collective contemporary perception of our cultural societies risks workaholism. Productivity is one of the most respected features of our daily lives. Sometimes the area of work 'swells up' in our lives and reaches the size of an almost authoritarian instance that rules the other spheres. Perhaps in the beating heart of never-ending tasks it is worth closing your eyes and seeing a different landscape? This is exactly what I did today. Recently, I feel very overloaded with work. I don't even have time to talk to the family I live with. As a student and teacher during the COVID-19 pandemic, I spend time in front of the computer from 7am to 11pm and I feel increasingly discouraged from making any further effort. Today I decided to oxygenate, spending a day with my friend on long walks on the sea shore. The weather was great. The sun was heating up nicely and motivate us to continue hiking in the wild nooks away from tourists. Su...

Faces Places

Agnès Varda , died just a year ago, was a French film director, photographer and artist born in Belgium. Her work is associated with significant development of the French New Wave film movement of the 1950s and 1960s. Her films reflected documentary realism and constituted creative comments on social phenomena, especially concerning women issues, with a distinctive experimental style. JR is the pseudonym of a French photographer and street artist. He sticks large black-and-white photographic images in public places, saying that the street is 'the largest art gallery in the world'. Mainly he deals with the representations of commitment, freedom, identity and limits. They both created a wonderful documentary in 2017 called  Faces Places . In the movie, they both travel around French villages, meet and talk to simple people, listen to their stories, and then take photos of them, which they then print in huge formats and place on buildings.  The film has been h...

'Fauda' review: Israeli-Palestinian conflict on the screens

Netflix has so far broadcast season 3 of the most famous Israeli production series. Season 4 is being prepared, although work on editing will definitely be delayed due to pandemics. The series presents the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. In the three seasons, various characters related to Hamas or ISIS on the Palestinian side and the branch of the Israel Defense Forces headed by Doron Kabillio. The series presents various terrorist and anti-terrorist actions which take place in contemporary Israel, West Bank and the Gaza Strip. The main actor and director of the series, Lior Raz,  enlisted at age 18 in the  Israel Defense Forces  and became a  commando  in the elite undercover counter-terrorism unit.  A Palestinian terrorist killed his girlfriend by stabbing her 15 times.  The terrorist was later released from prison in the prisoner exchange .  In turn, the second director, Avi Issacharoff, was Middle Eastern Affairs Correspondent for Isr...