The Italian film 'The Music of Silence' (2017) is based on the novel (1999) by Andrea Bocelli containing the autobiographical threads of the opera singer. Alter ego of the famous Bocelli is the blind opera singer Amos Bardi. The camera follows his life, starting from childhood, on the one hand reflecting unusual musical talent, on the other, progressive blindness, to succeed in the international arena relatively late. The movie doesn't hide frustrating moments during the growing up of the boy who, due to his illness, doesn't have equal opportunities with his peers. His dependence upsets him and pushes him in the wrong direction. What's more, he doesn't like his voice change after mutation. These uncomfortable factors are the cause of Amos' rebellion and a waste of time and talent. Over time, the teenager will start to arrange his life, graduate in law studies and propose to his girlfriend to start a new responsible life and start a family. The situation changes when the young man finds an outstanding singing teacher (played perfectly by Antonio Banderas). Then it turns out that music must take first place in his life. Singing rehearsals are supposed to affect the amount of sleep, diet and daily functioning. Before concerts, Bardi cannot even talk to his wife for a few days, he must remain silent to save his voice. He's still dependent on his parents, which annoys him. He can't work because he has to practice his voice. All the way of the opera singer is marked by renunciation and frustration. Finally, he only becomes successful and recognizable after a long time when he stops believing in the sense of his difficulties.
I think that the collective contemporary perception of our cultural societies risks workaholism. Productivity is one of the most respected features of our daily lives. Sometimes the area of work 'swells up' in our lives and reaches the size of an almost authoritarian instance that rules the other spheres. Perhaps in the beating heart of never-ending tasks it is worth closing your eyes and seeing a different landscape? This is exactly what I did today. Recently, I feel very overloaded with work. I don't even have time to talk to the family I live with. As a student and teacher during the COVID-19 pandemic, I spend time in front of the computer from 7am to 11pm and I feel increasingly discouraged from making any further effort. Today I decided to oxygenate, spending a day with my friend on long walks on the sea shore. The weather was great. The sun was heating up nicely and motivate us to continue hiking in the wild nooks away from tourists. Su...



Comments
Post a Comment